Karin Slaughter | PRETTY GIRLS



Plot (via Goodreads):

Twenty years ago Claire Scott's eldest sister, Julia, went missing. No one knew where she went - no note, no body. It was a mystery that was never solved and it tore her family apart.

Now another girl has disappeared, with chilling echoes of the past. And it seems that she might not be the only one.

Claire is convinced Julia's disappearance is linked.

But when she begins to learn the truth about her sister, she is confronted with a shocking discovery, and nothing will ever be the same...
 


Review:

I want to preface this review with one thing - I absolutely hate mass market paperback books. They feel awkward to read and the ink always ends up smudged on my fingers. Well - I was in my local Chapters Indigo and found the mass market paperback of Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter and just couldn't help myself. After reading two of her previous titles and having every person I have encountered recommend this title, I eagerly picked it up. Talk about one bewitching read. This novel is easily one of the top five books that I have ever read and possibly my favorite in this genre - hands down. When Gillian Flynn (who is also one of my favorite authors) praises Karin Slaughter stating she would follow her anywhere, I should've known what was coming, but ultimately I was not prepared.

Right after chapter one, I forgot I was reading a mass market paperback. That is how incredibly compelling this read is. Right after the first chapter, I was sucked in and relentless with my thoughts and wondering where this one could go. Many, many directions is the answer. I was enthralled with not only this plot, but the characters of Claire, Lydia, and even the secondary characters had me hypnotized. I love that Karin isn't afraid to go there when it comes to her storytelling; she doesn't hold back, her novels are gritty, brutal, and emotionally charged. I absolutely loved Claire and Lydia and there relationship. It was emotional and thrilling, yet I had moments where I was laughing at their banter back and forth. This story is strong enough to stand on its own, but having characterization like this parallel to the story is just the ultimate reading experience.

The different directions this story went in kept me invested and a man obsessed. When I wasn't reading Pretty Girls (which I ridiculously started on a Tuesday), I was thinking about it, dreaming about it, and talking to other people about it. I have never had a reading experience quite like this before and I'm not sure I ever will. I loved the twists and turns that were unexpected, a bit over-the-top, but still kept their grip as I traveled down this brilliant story. One thing I love is that Karin Slaughter is not afraid to only get dark, but the story is real, it happens, and it's terrifying and devastatingly real. Especially with the whole "missing girl" plot, sometimes I feel that certain stories take a turn and take the easy route but Karin Slaughter does not hold back in exposing the ugly when it comes to the real world. Since this book, I have ordered six other books by Karin Slaughter and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. If you haven't read this book, get it now. You'll thank me later.

Rating: 5/5

Comments

Popular Posts