Erin Kelly | He Said She Said

Last night, I had finished my copy of He Said She Said by Erin Kelly and I could not wait to write my review! I had so many things to say about this one that it was such a unique reading experience that I literally had to sleep on my review. The ending to this actually made me lose sleep because so much happened that I wasn't expecting! Normally, I can guess a twist or at least have a good idea but there were a TON of them and it was so well done! I definitely recommend this one when it comes out on June 6, 2017!


Plot:

In the hushed aftermath of a total eclipse, Laura witnesses a brutal attack.
She and her boyfriend Kit call the police, and in that moment, four lives change forever.
Fifteen years on, Laura and Kit live in fear.
And while Laura knows she was right to speak out, she also knows that you can never see the whole picture: something is always hidden… something she never could have guessed.

Review:

This book is a unique reading experience. Erin Kelly did a fantastic job of pacing this 400-page journey. From the minute you begin, you are swept into this tension-filled, dark web.

While reading this, I will admit I did struggle with the first 100 pages. As it’s 400 pages in total, I did push through. I’m so glad I did! The minute this begins, Kelly does a fantastic job of giving you only small tidbits of information enough to keep you interested and know something ominous was looming in the background. This is done so well that at the times that I was wondering if I was enjoying this one or not, I was still pushing through to find out what was really going on. While wordy at times, I really enjoyed getting to know the characters before certain events were discussed and we really got into the meat of the story.

About halfway through is when the shit really just hit the fan. As this takes place between 1999 – 2015, you really see how the characters grow and change and it’s done in such an interesting way, that you still see the similarities in their personalities from the events before and the current events.

Now, one thing that many authors are doing right now that I really enjoy is either switching chapters between different times (i.e. past and present), or switching between two characters point of views. Erin Kelly did both. She actually did it so well that even if it wasn’t listed in the new chapter, you would be able to tell immediately with how different Kit and Laura’s views and how well their voices resonate off the pages.

So. While reading this, I got to about page 300 and planned on stopping there. I couldn’t because of the twist that was sprung on me. Let me tell you, this is not only just a book where there’s a twist in the end. This is a book that in the style it is written, the last 100 PAGES of this book were twists and turns and things that I just did not see coming.

The last line in this book was such a mic-drop moment that I read it three times. My rating went from a 3 between pages 100-200, a 3.5 from 200-300 and jumped to the 4.5 by the time I finished this. So, when this is released on June 6, 2017 and you buy it and check it out, don’t give up! Do. Not. Quit. Until. This. Is. Done.

Rating: 4.5/5

Comments

Popular Posts