Jo Jakeman | THE EXES' REVENGE





Plot (via Goodreads):

A wickedly dark debut thriller about three women who've all been involved with the same man and realize the one thing they have in common is that they all want revenge against him...

Divorces are often messy, and Imogen's is no exception. Phillip Rochester is controlling, abusive, and determined to make things as difficult as possible. When he shows up without warning demanding that Imogen move out of their house by the end of the month or he'll sue for sole custody of their young son, Imogen is ready to snap.

In a moment of madness, Imogen does something unthinkable--something that puts her in control for the first time in years. She's desperate to protect her son and to claim authority over her own life.

But she wasn't expecting both Phillip's ex-wife and new girlfriend to get tangled up in her plans. These three very different women--and unlikely allies--reluctantly team up to take revenge against a man who has wronged them all.


Review:

I'm going to keep this one simple because I cannot give away much with this novel. The plot was intriguing and believable, without taking itself too seriously. I know this one is a little extreme and when I read the plot I obviously felt like it was something that would be entertaining. While it is entertaining, this one was definitely darker than I was expecting and the story was one that I will really say exceeded my expectations.

The plot to this one is a darker style of The Other Woman movie or darker adult version of John Tucker Must Die. I really liked seeing a plot that is similar to a comedy take a darker and more suspenseful route. This one did begin a little slower and right when the pacing started to speed up, it was nonstop. This one was suspenseful, self-aware, and fantastically written. I loved these women. Each ones personality really stood out on the pages and I was anxious to find out what was going to happen next. Building unlikely friendships is a trait I love to read about in a novel and this one takes it a step further by building a friendship with women that have all had one thing in common - the same husband. Seeing the dynamic and hearing about the differences in their relationships with this one man was just even more entertaining. 

I would say the first half of this novel is a psychological thriller while the second half is just suspenseful mayhem. I was flying through the pages terrified and curious as to what was going to happen. Jo Jakeman did a fantastic job of keeping me engaged and giving me a satisfying ending to a novel that I didn't think would be possible to have a happier ending. This one is a binge-worthy and twisty suspense novel that keeps the reader satisfied through Jakeman's writing and brilliant characters - but doesn't have to rely on over-the-top revelations to keep you wanting more.

Special thanks to Berkley Publishing for this copy in exhange for my honest review.

Rating: 4/5

Comments

Popular Posts