Liane Moriarty | TRULY MADLY GUILTY




Plot (via Goodreads):

Six responsible adults. Three cute kids. One small dog. It’s just a normal weekend. What could possibly go wrong?

Sam and Clementine have a wonderful, albeit, busy life: they have two little girls, Sam has just started a new dream job, and Clementine, a cellist, is busy preparing for the audition of a lifetime. If there’s anything they can count on, it’s each other.

Clementine and Erika are each other’s oldest friends. A single look between them can convey an entire conversation. But theirs is a complicated relationship, so when Erika mentions a last minute invitation to a barbecue with her neighbors, Tiffany and Vid, Clementine and Sam don’t hesitate. Having Tiffany and Vid’s larger than life personalities there will be a welcome respite.

Two months later, it won’t stop raining, and Clementine and Sam can’t stop asking themselves the question: What if we hadn’t gone?


Review:

Alright, so lets be honest for a second here - I think Big Little Lies is one of the best books I have ever read and I loved it so much. So, when Truly Madly Guilty came out, I obviously bought it, started my blog, and then got wrapped up in the disastrous TBR list that has haunted me for the past three years. Well, I skipped this one and went into Nine Perfect Strangers, which I did not like at all. So, when I finally got into the heart of my summer and revisited a couple of older titles that were popular that other readers enjoyed, I knew this was the perfect summer for me to read Truly Madly Guilty - especially being at how much I was loving the second season of BLL and wanted more Moriarty in my life. 

Truly Madly Guilty is a novel that I loved the story, I loved the characters, and I absolutely could not get enough of their interactions and the dual story-line, but the actual execution of this one just really fell flat for me. This one starts off really slow, so I was prepared for that given that the other two titles by Liane Moriarty also did. Maybe the darkness of Big Little Lies is what kept me intrigued - it dealt with a death and many issues like domestic violence. Truly Madly Guilty deals with one event that changes the characters drastically and while it deals with some other issues, I just didn't feel the same immersive vibe with this one. To be honest, I got to about page 300 before I found out what the event was and don't get me wrong, it was definitely scary and something that I would be effected by, but I just didn't think it was worth 300 pages. The outcome from the event was much more enjoyable and I definitely loved the last 100 pages of this one. 

Rating: 3/5

Comments

Popular Posts