Ruth Ware | THE DEATH OF MRS. WESTAWAY



Plot (via Goodreads):

On a day that begins like any other, Hal receives a mysterious letter bequeathing her a substantial inheritance. She realizes very quickly that the letter was sent to the wrong person—but also that the cold-reading skills she’s honed as a tarot card reader might help her claim the money.

Soon, Hal finds herself at the funeral of the deceased…where it dawns on her that there is something very, very wrong about this strange situation and the inheritance at the center of it.


Review:

The fourth book by Ruth Ware is solidifying my statement from her debut that she is the modern Agatha Christie and that statement is ever-so-present in The Death of Mrs. Westaway. In her most gothic tale yet, Ware takes the reader in a brilliant journey that you'll want to scoop up in one sitting.

I love the way Ruth Ware tells a story. Her writing is so atmospheric and dark, yet emotionally brooding and shrouded in mystery. Right from the first page, I knew I was going to really enjoy this one. Something about the way she can not just build on an idea, but really create this whole other world for her readers to immerse themselves in is shocking and addicting to me as a reader. I loved that our protagonist was a tarot card reader on this dark and cold boardwalk that is eerie and anxiety-ridden. When the story really picks up and we are brought to this gothic mansion with an ever-present draft of gold air blowing through the halls and things that go bump in the night with a great cast of characters, it was the most I've felt like Ware's writing is comparable to Agatha Christie. The way the story just flows including two timelines and this cast of characters had me under Ware's spell for over 300 pages and I just couldn't get enough. It's atmospherically chilling featuring so many little twists and turns before Ware just brutally pummels you with the truth and I was loving every single second of it.

I will always be a Ruth Ware fan and this is one I highly suggest for all of her fans and even those who aren't familiar with her writing. One thing I am jealous of? The lucky mystery and thriller readers out there that have yet to discover Ruth Ware and can start from the beginning with her catalog and devour all of her stories. She is one author that I remember where I was and how I felt reading her stories and this one is by far the most enjoyable reading experience yet.

Rating: 5/5

Comments

Popular Posts