Danielle Girard | EXHUME



Plot (via Goodreads):

Dr. Annabelle Schwartzman has finally found a place to belong. As the medical examiner for the San Francisco Police Department, working alongside homicide detective Hal Harris, she uncovers the tales the dead can’t tell about their final moments. It is a job that gives her purpose—and a safe haven from her former life at the hands of an abusive husband. Although it’s been seven years since she escaped that ordeal, she still checks over her shoulder to make sure no one is behind her.

Schwartzman’s latest case is deeply troubling: the victim bears an eerie resemblance to herself. What’s more, a shocking piece of evidence suggests that the killer’s business is far from over—and that Schwartzman may be in danger. In this pulse-pounding thriller from award-winning writer Danielle Girard, a woman must face her worst nightmare to catch a killer.


Review:

Exhume by Danielle Girard is a stunning first in a series that will keep you invested, entertained, creeped out, and immediately make you want to order the other three books in this series. From this one, I am hooked! I loved the characters, the storyline was creepy, and Annabelle's backstory added a realistic and refreshing layer to this story that was both harrowing and eerie. One thing I absolutely loved was the setting. Having a serial killer thriller and suspense novel take place in San Francisco was outstanding and then when another location was added in as well, it made me scramble through the pages. I couldn't stop and I was feverish for more. With the characters in this one and the two locations, it's like reading a series within one novel; you had smaller story-lines that connected these characters within the overall picture of things and everything was woven beautifully.

There are some smaller (and bigger) things that were in this one that shocked me and I was taken back by that I felt weren't necessary, but made me love the story even more and felt that it really made the characters stand out compared to others in this genre. So many small details about personalities and what people liked/didn't like were added in that I felt like you really knew these characters, especially Annabelle.

This is the perfect Sunday read if you ask me. I devoured it in one day and I think it is the perfect story to distract you from the Sunday Scaries and keep you immersed in its plot. The pacing was great, the characters were stunning, and while the ending was satisfying and wrapped up all of those loose ends, you still were dying for more. The fact I didn't have book two on my shelf ready to go was the only thing I didn't like about this one.

Rating: 4/5

Comments

Popular Posts