Karin Slaughter | COP TOWN



Plot (via Goodreads):

Atlanta, 1974.

As a brutal killing rocks the city, Kate Murphy wonders if her first day on the police force will also be her last. For life is anything but easy in the male-dominated world of the Atlanta Police Department.

Kate isn't the only woman on the force who is finding things tough. Maggie Lawson followed her uncle and brother into the ranks to prove her worth in their cynical eyes.

When Maggie and Kate become partners, and are sidelined in the search for the city's cop killer, they decide to pursue their own line of investigation. But are they prepared to risk everything as they venture into the city's darkest heart?


Review:

Karin Slaughter always brings it when it comes to her stories. I fell in love with her standalone novels Pretty Girls and The Good Daughter before diving into the Grant Co. and Will Trent series and I can honestly say that Slaughter is one of my top five authors ever. Well, with reading so many of her books last year, I just didn't have time to read Cop Town, which was the only title of hers I hadn't devoured yet and I was adamant to do so this summer. And by adamant, I mean I waited until the first day it was over 60 and I just dove right in.

Cop Town is a different kind of story that what many may be used to with Slaughter, but it is a story about social injustice and racism and sexism that takes place in the 70's but is unfortunately something you could read now and probably believe it took place in present time give or take a few details. This one is definitely heavy on the police procedural aspect but has so much going on between these two brilliant female characters and I loved that they were the two protagonists in this story. There was a surprising third narrative that I found to be creepy and unsettling but just brought so much to the story.

If you're looking for a police procedural that is immersive and twisty with a brilliant pacing and sensational characters, I think you will enjoy this one. No one can tell a story like Karin Slaughter and the way she weaves together all the ingredients to make a perfect thriller is still captivating to me. As much as I love Will Trent, this is definitely a police procedural that will stand out in her catalog for me.

Rating: 4/5

Comments

Popular Posts