Chevy Stevens | Those Girls

Hello! 

So I just finished "Those Girls" by Chevy Stevens. You know when you read the synopsis of a Lifetime movie and think to yourself "Wow! This might actually be the good one!" only to realize a half an hour into the movie that you were wrong. So, so wrong. Reading a synopsis to a plot of a Chevy Stevens novel is the opposite. There's a description in front of you that lures you in, thinking it's going to be one thing and then you begin the novel and you're wrong. So, so wrong. The minute I start a Stevens novel, I cannot stop. I'm lured in like a moth to a flame. Once you start, it's impossible to start and even more impossible to get the novel out of your mind. Stevens takes a plot and really weaves in details as you go along like a tightly wound spiderweb. How she does it is completely and utterly flawless and amazing.

]
Life has never been easy for the three Campbell sisters.  Jess, Courtney, and Dani live on a remote ranch in Western Canada where they work hard and try to stay out of the way of their father’s fists.  One night, a fight gets out of hand and the sisters are forced to go on the run, only to get caught in an even worse nightmare when their truck breaks down in a small town. Events spiral out of control and a chance encounter with the wrong people leaves them in a horrific and desperate situation. They are left with no choice but to change their names and create new lives.
Eighteen years later, they are still trying to forget what happened that summer when one of the sisters goes missing and they are pulled back into their past.
This time there’s nowhere left to run.
As much of a thriller as it is a deep exploration of the bonds among sisters, Those Girls is an unforgettable portrait of desperation, loyalty, and evil.
Review:
So, my Chevy Stevens read-a-thon continues. Each novel getting better and better than the one before. This one was truly an emotional and gripping thriller that I had a hard time putting down. This is probably why I read it in two sittings. I will warn you, before reading this, not only is this one extremely violent and emotionally gut wrenching, but it also deals with themes of domestic violence and features scenes of rape. 
This was a hard one to get through emotionally. While thrilling and action-packed, I really felt for the Campbell sisters and what they went through in their teens. Stevens did a fantastic job of keeping the readers interest by quickly diving from one scene to another and ending each chapter with sprinkled cliffhangers. This was by far the most intense novel of hers I've read yet and at times, it did get uncomfortable. But, stepping out of your comfort zone sometimes really builds the reading experience. 
I loved how strong and well-written the characters were, especially the Campbell sisters. Stevens did a great job of building suspense and really creating a phenomenal story with a true combination of heart, suspense, and character development. By the end of this novel, I was blown away by what she will accomplish next. 
My only struggle with this was initially when I was reading it, trying to develop an image in my head of some of the scenery as I haven't spent much time in the places that Stevens described. That didn't stop me from loving every minute of it. As previously discussed with all Stevens novels, I cannot recommend this one enough. Truly and utterly satisfying and gripping. Sometimes, when I read a book by an author, my mind gets addicted and I feel I must read everything by that author, only to realize that most of their books are similar and I'm let down. If you took all of Stevens novels and gave them to someone, withholding the authors name, they are all so different and each plot is so far from the next that you would just think someone gave you five really friggin' good books. In my opinion, that makes a fantastic writer. Chevy Stevens is one of those writers.
Rating: 5/5
Thanks for popping by and reading this review! Feel free to comment below or comment on my Instagram account (@gareindeedreads)

-Gare 

Comments

Popular Posts