Never Let You Go | Love Note to Chevy Stevens

The Chevy Stevens read-a-thon is complete and I'm kind of sad. It's a weird feeling knowing I don't have another one to read next! It's like finishing a series on Netflix and not knowing where to go next. And I have plenty of books to read next. And now that I've discovered Book Depository, it's going to get overwhelming, but in such a good way! Anyway, back to Chevy.

So, as her books continue, she really grows as an author and I now am just as obsessed with her as I am with Gillian Flynn. That's a big deal. Each story is so intricate and each character so well written, it's like you are reading a story about people that you really feel like you knew before opening the cover. Does that make sense? Well, that's how it feels. I already anticipate what Chevy Stevens will do next. LOVE her. Check her out. The experience of reading her books as she writes them even though they aren't really connected (Never Knowing and Always Watching are kind of, but it's nothing too huge), was really enjoyable to me as a reader. Seeing her grow and how one person can come up with so many different ways to write a thriller and the plots that come with these thrillers is truly amazing.

Plot:

Eleven years ago, Lindsey Nash escaped into the night with her young daughter and left an abusive relationship. Her ex-husband was sent to jail and she started over with a new life. Now, Lindsey is older and wiser, with a teenage daughter who needs her more than ever. When her ex-husband is finally released, Lindsey believes she’s cut all ties. But she gets the sense that someone is watching her. Her new boyfriend is threatened. Her home is invaded, and her daughter is shadowed. Lindsey is convinced it’s her ex-husband, even though he claims he’s a different person. But can he really change? Is the one who wants her dead closer to home than she thought?

Review:

This was definitely a change in direction compared to Stevens other novels, but I welcomed it. Not so much a suspenseful thriller as it was more psychological/domestic and really focused on the relationships between Lindsey and Andrew and Lindsey and Sophie, which I really enjoyed. I did guess the ending as it was similar to something I had read earlier in the year. This was really well written and I really enjoyed how Stevens differentiated between not only the past and present, but the views from Sophie and Lindsey in present time. It was really well done without being confusing in anyway. I found that the story flowed really well and at one point, I didn't know who to suspect because there were so many characters acting strangely and so much was going on. I didn't find this one as good as Those Girls and That Night, but it was still a lot better than most of the writing out there! I'll always be a fan of Chevy. Mark my words.

Rating: 4/5

Comments

Popular Posts