Emily Carpenter | The Weight of Lies

I just came off from a three day journey of reading THE WEIGHT OF LIES by Emily Carpenter and what an experience that was! I am thrilled to say that this is my favorite thriller of the summer. I will not insult this title by comparing it to another novel or saying it's "the next..."

This is simply the book that everyone will be and should be talking about. What a thrilling ride.




Plot:

Reformed party girl Meg Ashley leads a life of privilege, thanks to a bestselling horror novel her mother wrote decades ago. But Meg knows that the glow of their very public life hides a darker reality of lies, manipulation, and the heartbreak of her own solitary childhood. Desperate to break free of her mother, Meg accepts a proposal to write a scandalous, tell-all memoir.
Digging into the past—and her mother’s cult classic—draws Meg to Bonny Island, Georgia, and an unusual woman said to be the inspiration for the book. At first island life seems idyllic, but as Meg starts to ask tough questions, disturbing revelations come to light…including some about her mother.
Soon Meg’s search leads her to question the facts of a decades-old murder. She’s warned to leave it alone, but as the lies pile up, Meg knows she’s getting close to finding a murderer. When her own life is threatened, Meg realizes the darkness found in her mother’s book is nothing compared to the chilling truth that lurks off the page.

Review:

Everyone and their mother has been talking about this all over Instagram, so in the beginning of the month I purchased a copy. I was so excited to dig into it and then life happened and I started to get so many ARCs for upcoming novels that my head almost propelled off from my body.

Starting this one, I was a little hesitant as to the reformed party-girl turns amateur-sleuth aspect, but Meg Ashley is just a force to be reckoned with. All of these characters are dangerous and untrustworthy with sharp-wit and secrets galore. I was so impressed with knowing the character of Frances Ashley, that when she showed up it was like seeing a celebrity at the grocery store. 

This is a tense and atmospheric thriller that really keeps you guessing with breadcrumbs of information leading up to a monstrous reveal. What I loved was that this was so methodically planned out and mesmerizing all in its own that I couldn't pry myself away from it. When I did, I was thinking and wondering and questioning what else could happen. This book is tense and chilling and just overall a fantastic read. I am officially calling it the Thriller of Summer '17.

With razor-sharp wit, deception, dark characterization, and a plot that will leave you salivating for more, do yourself a favor and RUN out and buy a copy of this one. You won't be disappointed. I know I wasn't.

Rating: 5/5

Comments

Popular Posts