Michael Robotham | The Secrets She Keeps

My vacation is slowly coming to a halt here, so I pulled an all-nighter last night and finished THE SECRETS SHE KEEPS by Michael Robotham.



Plot:

Agatha is pregnant and works part-time stocking shelves at a grocery store in a ritzy London suburb, counting down the days until her baby is due. As the hours of her shifts creep by in increasing discomfort, the one thing she looks forward to at work is catching a glimpse of Meghan, the effortlessly chic customer whose elegant lifestyle dazzles her. Meghan has it all: two perfect children, a handsome husband, a happy marriage, a stylish group of friends, and she writes perfectly droll confessional posts on her popular parenting blog—posts that Agatha reads with devotion each night as she waits for her absent boyfriend, the father of her baby, to maybe return her calls.

When Agatha learns that Meghan is pregnant again, and that their due dates fall within the same month, she finally musters up the courage to speak to her, thrilled that they now have the ordeal of childbearing in common. Little does Meghan know that the mundane exchange she has with a grocery store employee during a hurried afternoon shopping trip is about to change the course of her not-so-perfect life forever…

Review:

First of all, let's discuss that beautiful cover. This is exactly how I envisioned the novel starting off as Agatha watches Meghan through the windows of the grocery store. Immediately I was hooked with this one as during Agatha's chapters, she did not hold back. There was something sinister, yet almost innocent in the way that she crept off the page. 

I was quickly drawn into this world of learning more about Agatha and Meghan. What I loved most about getting to know each character was how naive Agatha was when it came to Meghan's life. There is something dark and disturbing, yet addicting watching these two women befriend each other.

The plot with this one is a slow burning and well-paced, which I really enjoy in a psychological thriller. Robot ham did an amazing job of building the tension and he suspense, providing tidbits of suspense here and there, but keeping my attention throughout. As the tension did start to mount, I was quickly noticing I was holding my breath. At one point halfway through the novel, something happened that I actually gasped out loud while reading this...

"I'm only halfway through! This cannot be happening already! What ELSE is going to happen?"

Not only did Robotham do a fantastic job creating this tension filled plot, he also wrote two BADASS female characters that I will not be forgetting about anytime soon! Agatha is darkly disturbing and creepy. Meghan is strong and beautiful. I cannot even explain properly how fantastic these two characters were. 

While character driven and well-paced, I found  this to be a creepy and addictive read from the beginning. There was something bright and sinister at the same time while beginning this. Like looking into a sunny field and seeing a serial killer standing in the middle of it...

This is by far one of the best psychological thrillers I have ever read. It was addictive, emotional, creepy, and able to stand on its own. This is the perfect psychological thriller for fans of THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN and SINGLE WHITE FEMALE.

Rating: 5/5

Comments

Popular Posts