AJ Finn | THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW



Plot (via Goodreads):

What did she see?
It’s been ten long months since Anna Fox last left her home. Ten months during which she has haunted the rooms of her old New York house like a ghost, lost in her memories, too terrified to step outside.
Anna’s lifeline to the real world is her window, where she sits day after day, watching her neighbours. When the Russells move in, Anna is instantly drawn to them. A picture-perfect family of three, they are an echo of the life that was once hers.
But one evening, a frenzied scream rips across the silence, and Anna witnesses something no one was supposed to see. Now she must do everything she can to uncover the truth about what really happened. But even if she does, will anyone believe her? And can she even trust herself?
Review:

Technically, this review starts in June 2017. That is when I began my search for a galley of THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW by AJ Finn. Everything about this seemed to be the perfect read for me. The plot was unique and ominous, the cover gorgeous, and the reviews were brilliant. I even got to enjoy a few moments where Mr. Finn himself had tried to assist me in getting a copy. Needless to say, I did not get a copy of this one until December from another blogger who sent me their copy...it was worth the wait and more.

THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW is so special to me. For the last two months, I did kind of struggle getting through my TBR list for each month...until now. This novel is the kind of read that makes you remember why you enjoy reading so much in the first place and it doesn't hold back with the thrills and chills. I knew the moment I started to read this that I was working with something very special. 

THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW begins with a unique and steady plot that not only gets under your skin rather quickly, but holds you hostage in this world of panic, fear, and anxiety. It's so exciting. While the pacing for this novel is a bit slower than others, I still was dumbfounded with how addicting and enthralled in this novel I was. I especially loved how majority of the novel takes place in one building and we really get a feel for our protagonists lifestyle and thoughts. The entire novel has this brilliant noir feeling where each day kind of passes with an ominous feel...the calm before the storm. And what a brilliant storm it is.

I loved the pacing with this novel, I loved the plot, and I especially loved all of the characters. What I found was my favorite aspect was the cinematic feel to this novel. The novel not only references a ton of different movies, but also has a cinematic noir vibe that is not only present with the plot, but with the dialogue, the beautiful array of different characters, and the setting of this spectacular beast of a novel. As for the characters; sheer brilliance. Anna Fox is easily the best unreliable narrator I have ever read, Detective Little made me develop a serious crush on him, and every other character in this novel made me devastated that they are fictional, because would they ever make some great guests for a dinner party.

As the novel was coming to a close, I was reeled into this world of deception, fear, and a merlot haze. There are quite a few twists and turns in this novel that I really wasn't expecting, but I loved how Finn spaced them out and kept them ones that were realistic. They weren't out of this world plot twists added for shock value, they were simply twists that made you want to invest more in the story and find out what the hell is going on. And that I did. With some shocking reveals, characters that I already miss, and an ethereal ending, this is not one to leave on your bookshelf for too long. 

This novel releases on January 2, 2018.

Rating: 5/5

Comments

Popular Posts