Eric Rickstad | THE SILENT GIRLS



I would like to preface this review with a fun fact. I actually had a chance to go to the ThrillerFest held in Manchester, VT last month and had a BLAST getting to know some fantastic authors, one of which was Eric Rickstad. I had heard of his books and read reviews, knowing I absolutely had to feature them. During my time at this event, Rickstad had actually read the opening chapter to the third book in this series and I was addicted. I needed to get to know Frank Rath and these dark cases he worked on. I am so glad I did.

Plot (via GoodReads):

With the dead of a bitter Vermont winter closing in, evil is alive and well …

Frank Rath thought he was done with murder when he turned in his detective's badge to become a private investigator and raise a daughter alone. Then the police in his remote rural community of Canaan find an '89 Monte Carlo abandoned by the side of the road, and the beautiful teenage girl who owned the car seems to have disappeared without a trace.

Soon Rath's investigation brings him face-to-face with the darkest abominations of the human soul.

With the consequences of his violent and painful past plaguing him, and young women with secrets vanishing one by one, he discovers once again that even in the smallest towns on the map, evil lurks everywhere-and no one is safe.


Review:

The plot to this novel is not only tightly woven, but complex, and eerie. The front cover to this novel declares it the TRUE DETECTIVE of Vermont and I cannot think of a better comparison. This novel started off strong with a creepy opening chapter that left me breathless and chilled, begging for more. We then get into the meat of the story featuring a missing teenager and our dark and perfectly imperfect protagonist, Frank Rath. The thing that I loved about this character was how he is very similar to Harry Hole (Jo Nesbø). He is dark, flawed, and dealing with not only this case, but a relatively full plate of a ton of other issues that really bring heart to this fantastic character.

Rath isn't the only gem featured in this novel. Each character (good and bad) are not only phenomenally well-written, but unapologetic in their delivery. I especially loved how each character really had a knack for shining in their scenes. They are creepy, funny, angry, and loving. Honestly, Rickstad has a fantastic way of delivering these characters that really stick with you throughout this multi-layered plot that really gets more complex as you read. 

What I loved about this novel was how the plot was layered and really let each step kind of seep into your mind as you read. Being that it took me a week to read this one, I was brilliantly reminded of different characters, clues, and other items relating to this case before I hit the next step. It's like being in a safe bubble as you ride along with Rath and the police who are investigating the crime(s) at hand. I was uncomfortable, addicted, and really in awe at how everything really tied together in the end. I would definitely recommend this read for fans of HBO'S TRUE DETECTIVE and crime fiction in general. A thrilling, dark, and addicting rollercoaster ride, this one is not one you want to let slip from your TBR shelf!

Rating: 4/5 

Comments

Popular Posts