Emma Rous | THE AU PAIR



Plot (via Goodreads):

Seraphine Mayes and her twin brother Danny were born in the middle of summer at their family’s estate on the Norfolk coast. Within hours of their birth, their mother threw herself from the cliffs, the au pair fled, and the village thrilled with whispers of dark cloaks, changelings, and the aloof couple who drew a young nanny into their inner circle.

Now an adult, Seraphine mourns the recent death of her father. While going through his belongings, she uncovers a family photograph that raises dangerous questions. It was taken on the day the twins were born, and in the photo, their mother, surrounded by her husband and her young son, is beautifully dressed, smiling serenely, and holding just one baby.

Who is the child and what really happened that day?

One person knows the truth, if only Seraphine can find her.


Review:

When I was in high school, I had this tremendous obsession with V.C. Andrew books. I was immediately intrigued when I read the synopsis to The Au Pair by Emma Rous and noticed this story was being compared to V.C. Andrews. I knew immediately, I had to reach out for a copy and luckily my good friends at Berkley sent me a copy shortly after. 

Emma Rous's writing is not only spellbinding, but poetic with a prose that is dangerously sharp and hauntingly beautiful. From the very opening,  I was drawn into this world and felt sensory overload in my dreamlike state; I could smell the salt in the air, feel the breeze on my skin, and hear the waves crash against the rocks. Let's be honest, I am a sucker for two things: alternative perspectives and alternative timelines. This novel not only features both, but does so in such a stunning way that each voice is not only distinctive, but the growth in these characters is awe-inspiring as you travel along this haunting and alluring story. 

The characters in this story are not only magnificently written, but do their job effectively assisting the reader in this journey that spans over 20 years. I was completely hypnotized with this novel. I loved reading these characters, even when I wasn't supposed to like certain ones at certain times, I was reveling in in the presence of these newly-found friends. Combining this beguiling story with these astonishing characters with a razor-sharp and precise pacing made this easily one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I have had in a while. By the time I was at the bittersweet climax, I not only received answers for all of my burning questions, but I shed a tear or two during the unexpectedly emotional epilogue. 

I don't know when or how I'll recover from Emma Rous and her stunning ability to drown me in her sparkling prose, but I will tell you - this is not a novel you want to miss if you're looking for a story that has everything you could ask for and more.

Special thanks to Berkley Publishing for this copy in exchange for my honest review.

Rating: 5/5


Comments

  1. I love VC Andrews! I missed that comparison but the "gothic" statements got me! With both I'm a gonner for this for sure! Excellent review! ❤️🙌🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO good! I can't see how anyone would not like this one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts