Mary Kubica | DON'T YOU CRY



Plot (via Goodreads):

In downtown Chicago, Esther Vaughan disappears from her apartment without a trace. A haunting letter addressed to My Dearest is found among her possessions, leaving her roommate Quinn Collins to question how well she really knew her friend. Meanwhile, in a small town an hour outside Chicago, a mysterious woman appears in the quiet coffee shop where eighteen-year-old Alex Gallo works as a dishwasher. He is immediately drawn to her, but what starts as an innocent crush quickly spirals into something far more sinister.

As Quinn searches for answers about Esther, and Alex is drawn further under the stranger's spell, master of suspense Mary Kubica takes readers on a taut and twisted thrill ride that builds to a stunning conclusion and shows that no matter how fast and far we run, the past always catches up with us.


Review:

Ever since I read THE GOOD GIRL by Mary Kubica, I knew I was on to something special. I have devoured every single piece of writing Kubica has released since - each title getting more complex and darker than its predecessor. For some reason, DONT YOU CRY completely slipped under my radar and I missed one whole title from Mary Kubica! Well, I am so glad I got a chance to catch up because this one is by far my favorite Kubica title yet.

Don’t You Cry is by far the most eerie, complex, and chilling psychological thriller in Kubica's catalog. This novel is a psychological thriller featuring two very different character perspectives and a twisted web of brilliantly written characters with some major twists and turns along the way. What I love about Kubica’s writing is how she brings you right into wherever the novel takes place. I literally felt like I was running around Chicago with Quinn and Alex. Plus, bonus: this plot features a dash of an urban-legend to really assist with the chills.

While most thrillers have some characters that are strictly (and frustratingly) red herrings, this novel not only had two fantastic narrators, but a handful of well executed minor characters that bring just as much of a punch to this story as Quinn and Alex do. I don’t care what kind of novels Kubica writes next, because I’ll follow along based on her ability to write exceptional characters alone.

Featuring a mystifying plot, dazzling characters, relentless suspense, it’s easy to see why Mary Kubicas fan-base is only increasing. I know that with each title I read of Kubicas, I become an even bigger fan and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Special thanks to Mary Kubica for providing me this copy in exchange for my honest review.


Rating: 5/5

Comments

  1. OH! I love a good urban legend! This sounds great and I'll go add it now. I have yet to read anything by Kubuca, embarrassing I know, but I need to start ASAP! Thanks so much! ❤️🙌🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think you'll really like it given what you usually read. She's amazing and such a great storyteller!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts