J.D. Barker | THE FOURTH MONKEY



Plot (via Goodreads):

For over five years, the Four Monkey Killer has terrorized the residents of Chicago. When his body is found, the police quickly realize he was on his way to deliver one final message, one which proves he has taken another victim who may still be alive.

As the lead investigator on the 4MK task force, Detective Sam Porter knows even in death, the killer is far from finished. When he discovers a personal diary in the jacket pocket of the body, Porter finds himself caught up in the mind of a psychopath, unraveling a twisted history in hopes of finding one last girl, all while struggling with personal demons of his own.

With only a handful of clues, the elusive killer’s identity remains a mystery. Time is running out and the Four Monkey Killer taunts from beyond the grave in this masterfully written fast-paced thriller.


Review:

The Fourth Monkey by J.D. Barker is everything you could want in a crime fiction thriller. It has a dark and mysterious serial killer, a smart and troubled detective, and alternate story-lines that will chill you to the bone. Why this one has been on my shelf unread is the only answer I didn't get. Suffice to say, I am so excited for the next installment of this fantastic series.

One of the quotes on this one labels it as a combination of The Silence of the Lambs with Se7en and I couldn't think of a better description. Right from the beginning, I got that gritty vibe with the imagery and the introduction of both the killer and Sam Porter, our fearless and fantastically written detective. At first, I thought I knew the kind of guy Porter was going to be but as the story traveled on I was surprised and excited to see that not all is what you think with this intelligent and troubled man. I loved the combination of him with the case and then getting an inside look into this life small glimpses at a time. The way that this story begins with a serial killer actually dead was both confusing and enticing, leaving me wanting even more as I feverishly flipped through the pages. As the plot progresses, you can't help but alternate between the present day and a diary of the killers life growing up with bated breath.

I loved the characters in this novel, the plot was brilliant, and the pacing was temperamental in the best way possible. The parts with less action were perfectly slower paced and yet kept you interested and right when you are expecting a lull, Barker slams down on the acceleration and rips you into an alternate reality that will leave you taking breaks for deep breathing. A few twists and turns left me shocked and anxious as I followed Porter in putting the pieces together and they were executed gracefully, avoiding cliches. A few revelations had me at moments of both "Oh my god!" and "I should've picked up on that!" which kept me both entertained and engrossed in the story. Not only is this the novel that will have you sneaking away at any given moment just to get a few pages read, but it's the kind of novel that overcomes you and takes your imagination hostage. I am eager to enjoy the next installment and any future ones that come after. J.D. Barker - call me a fan and keep up the good work; I'm saving room on my bookshelf for all of your future titles.

Rating: 5/5

Comments

Popular Posts