AJ Banner | The Good Neighbor

I have been so busy! I finished this one Monday night and am just getting around to writing my review (Sorry, Ms. Banner!) 

I just finished The Good Neighbor by AJ Banner. It was a quick read that was under 200 pages, but it flew by like a short story I had been dying to read. The chapters are short, so even though it isn't a lengthy read and it can be done in one sitting, I still enjoyed this as I was doing laundry when I read it. I highly recommend this one for fans of Agatha Christie, Alfred Hitchcock books, and Desperate Housewives fans. 



Plot:

Shadow Cove, Washington, is the kind of town everyone dreams about—quaint streets, lush forests, good neighbors. That’s what Sarah thinks as she settles into life with her new husband, Dr. Johnny McDonald. But all too soon she discovers an undercurrent of deception. And one October evening when Johnny is away, sudden tragedy destroys Sarah’s happiness.
Dazed and stricken with grief, she and Johnny begin to rebuild their shattered lives. As she picks up the pieces of her broken home, Sarah discovers a shocking secret that forces her to doubt everything she thought was true—about her neighbors, her friends, and even her marriage. With each stunning revelation, Sarah must ask herself, Can we ever really know the ones we love?
Review:

I LOVED THIS! While it was a quick read, I easily could have read another 200 pages of this. The plot was well-executed, the characters were written exactly how they needed to be written considering their relation to the plot, and the ending was honestly one I didn't see coming. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm usually good at guessing the endings!

This was jam-packed with red herrings. And by jam-packed, I mean I didn't know who to trust or really who was a liar and who was hiding something. Even the six-year old girl that was in this kind of caught me with a side eye a few times. Banner did a fantastic job of keeping up with the suspense and introducing everyone slowly so that it didn't overwhelm me as a reader. 

The main character was a bit one-dimensional for me, though. I get that she was a writer and I saw where Banner was going with some of the things that she was putting into the novel, but I think that I lost Sarah a bit when there was so much going on in so little time. The other characters were fantastically written, though! 

I would definitely recommend this. It's a great story and an overall easy read! 

Rating:

4/5


Comments

Popular Posts