Matt Wesolowski | Six Stories

Guess who got like ZERO hours of sleep last night? That's right...me. I had such a productive Sunday and thought I would sleep well. Not that I have been sleeping very well for the past few weeks, but this didn't help.

I hadn't meant to start Six Stories by Matt Wesolowski and finish it all yesterday.

I hadn't meant to stay up past my normal bedtime to finish the last 25 pages.

I hadn't meant to terrify myself beyond recognition.

But, I did.

 
Plot:

1997. Scarclaw Fell. The body of teenager Tom Jeffries is found at an Outward Bound center. Verdict? Misadventure. But not everyone is convinced. And the truth of what happened in the beautiful but eerie fell is locked in the memories of the tight-knit group of friends who embarked on that fateful trip, and the flimsy testimony of those living nearby.
 
2017. Enter elusive investigative journalist Scott King, whose podcast examinations of complicated cases have rivaled the success of Serial, with his concealed identity making him a cult internet figure. In a series of six interviews, King attempts to work out how the dynamics of a group of idle teenagers conspired with the sinister legends surrounding the fell to result in Jeffries’ mysterious death. As every interview unveils a new revelation, you’ll be forced to work out for yourself how Tom Jeffries died, and who is telling the truth.
 
Review:
 
Oh. My. God.
 
So this is a recommendation by Abby (who runs Crime by the Book). I consider her a dear friend and we've had plenty of chats on Instagram and I LOVE her recommendations. She's also like the sweetest person that's ever existed.
 
When I started to read this, I was a little confused as I thought it was a work of fiction. I then spent too much time on Google looking for more information about this. This is not a non-fiction piece of work. This is just a really well done novel.
 
This is by far the best debut novel I have read in a long time and will probably enjoy it more when I read it again and I plan on doing just that. My other two favorite debut novels are Girl on the Train and Luckiest Girl Alive, so if that says anything, then you should watch out for this one being released in June.
 
This was extremely creepy and well executed. The planning with this must've taken forever as I feel like every minor detail was well thought of. This is not the type of reading material that you can skim or try to rush through, you really have to pay attention and dedicate yourself and it is so worth it.
 
I LOVED the set up and how this was like reading a podcast. It was so well-done that the fact this is fiction just really baffled me. This was part character study, part mystery, and all around just really thrilling to read.
 
While I won't spoil anything, there is a theme of some paranormal/urban legend/folklore that really added to the suspense and by the time I finished this, I was literally shaking. This was terrifying, creepy, and not gory which I really loved.
 
Read this. When it comes out in June, buy it, turn off your phone and read it. Also, don't go into the woods. This is by far the best debut I've read in a while and there's nothing I would change about it. People are going to be taking about this one, mark my words.
 
Rating: 5/5
 

Comments

Popular Posts