B.A. Paris | Behind Closed Doors

I feel like it's been forever (about a week) since I've posted a review! Yesterday, I finally finished "Behind Closed Doors" by B.A. Paris! While the weather is warming up, my social calendar for this spring and summer is filling up so much that I was really shocked it took me a week to finish this one! Thankfully, it did not disappoint and me reading at my normal pace, this would have just taken me about 2 sit downs to finish. So, let's get into it! 


Plot:

Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace. He has looks and wealth; she has charm and elegance. He’s a dedicated attorney who has never lost a case; she is a flawless homemaker, a masterful gardener and cook, and dotes on her disabled younger sister. Though they are still newlyweds, they seem to have it all. You might not want to like them, but you do. You’re hopelessly charmed by the ease and comfort of their home, by the graciousness of the dinner parties they throw. You’d like to get to know Grace better.
But it’s difficult, because you realize Jack and Grace are inseparable.
Some might call this true love. Others might wonder why Grace never answers the phone. Or why she can never meet for coffee, even though she doesn’t work. How she can cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim. Or why she never seems to take anything with her when she leaves the house, not even a pen. Or why there are such high-security metal shutters on all the downstairs windows.
Some might wonder what’s really going on once the dinner party is over, and the front door has closed.
Review:
So, this has been a highly recommended book for a long time and I kind of kicked myself for not reading it sooner. While it started off normal, it didn't take long for me to realize (as a reader), that there was something SERIOUSLY wrong with Jack and Grace's marriage. Like, deeply and darkly disturbing...wrong. 
I loved the characters (well, I hated one in particular) and how they were written so damn well. The story begins in present time and quickly switches back and forth from present to past. I will admit, while reading this, I was underwhelmed for the first initial 50 pages with this as it's been done so many times before. That being said, once I got into the real meat of the story and the past started to catch up to the present, I was quickly loving it and found myself devouring this twisted timeline. 
This was an overall easy read. The characters were well written, no filler pages were taking up any space, and the storyline really flowed rather well. Some parts to me were clearly made to shine if and when this becomes a movie. Once I got to the end, I had a pretty good guess as to how it was going to end and while I did pick up a part of it, there is a rather fun and unexpected twist that made me swear to myself.
Check this one out, I really enjoyed it! Also, I have a copy of Paris' next novel "The Breakdown" that I will be reading soon and cannot wait to compare the two!
Rating: 4.5/5


Comments

Popular Posts