AJ Banner | The Twilight Wife

If you haven't seen my review for The Good Neighbor by AJ Banner, check it out! 

Obviously with finishing Banner's first novel, I had to dig in rather quickly to her second one! The storyline to this novel is somewhat similar to her first, but I like it. It's a suspenseful psychological thriller mixed into marital problems and the effects an event can have on a relationship. I get it. And I like it. 



Plot:

Thirty-four-year-old marine biologist Kyra Winthrop remembers nothing about the diving accident that left her with a complex form of memory loss. With only brief flashes of the last few years of her life, her world has narrowed to a few close friendships on the island where she lives with her devoted husband, Jacob.
But all is not what it seems. Kyra begins to have visions—or are they memories?—of a rocky marriage, broken promises, and cryptic relationships with the island residents, whom she believes to be her friends.
As Kyra races to uncover her past, the truth becomes a terrifying nightmare. A twisty, immersive thriller, The Twilight Wife will keep readers enthralled through the final, shocking twist.
Review:

I did like this one a lot! It was an easy and light read. This was a step up from Banner's first novel. I think she really took what worked and what didn't work with The Good Neighbor and added to it.

While the plots were similar in a sense, I was kind of set back with some details that were in the first novel compared to this one. The best friend is gone abroad, the couple is having problems procreating, etc. 

The characters were mapped out well. I kept waiting for certain people to have bigger roles later on, but I guess that's the point of having a mystery/thriller with a ton of red herrings. I did enjoy Kyra's character a lot more than Sarah from The Good Neighbor. 

What I did enjoy was the story, the premise, and there were a couple of twists I didn't see coming, but I guessed the ending within the first 100 pages. Once that was figured out, I didn't feel as invested in this one as I did with her debut. 

I really did enjoy The Twilight Wife. I didn't enjoy it as much as I did The Good Neighbor, but the premise and the well-written characters were what really did it in for me. I would definitely recommend this as a summer/beach/plane read. 

Rating: 3.5/5

Comments

Popular Posts