How to Murder Your Life: A Memoir

I don't know if it's the warmer weather of spring being in the air and the rain cleansing all of the ugliness from winter or how my mood immediately changes the minute April hits, but I just finished the Cat Marnell memoir "How to Murder Your Life" and I cannot stop thinking about it.

I don't have much to post as a plot as it's a memoir that I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend and I wouldn't want to spoil one damn word or scenario as you really just have to dig in and devote a couple of days of your life to let this change you. Well, that's what I did anyway. 

My last week since I started this read as a "thriller palate book cleanse" weighed heavy on my reading with a lot of things going on socially and work literally draining my brain like a damn zombie that only felt the desire to feed Monday through Friday. And then drinks Friday night ended up a time warp that turned my Saturday into an afternoon detox of me chugging water and plotting a new life starting today (Sunday). 

While most people make their new goals and resolutions in January, I do not. New Year, New Me? Nope. Same Winter, Same Me. The minute April and the rain (which I find to be the ultimate soul-cleanser) washes away the dead of winter, the snow, the salt, the longer nights, the exhaustion, the mental fog that washes over me, I want to make my changes then. It's only fitting that the dead comes back to life and the Earth becomes a bit more beautiful that I decide I need to as well. 

Cat Marnell helped me with that. 

So, I make the goal to be more strict with my vitamins, eating healthier, drinking, and think that one spring (whether it be this one or not), I finally give up cigarettes for good. Today, I kind of stuck to that. Vitamins? Check. Hearty breakfast? Check. Two mile walk? Check. No Parliaments? Well, two. Okay, balance. It's only day one. Well, with that being said, and me rambling on about change and blah blah blah, I guess it's time to write my review. 


Review:

This memoir was such a rollercoaster of laughs, anxiety, and terror. I mean, we all have our vices. Carbs, drugs, alcohol, nicotine, reality television, etc. Cat Marnell did a phenomenal job of being brutally honest, brutally funny, and brutally revealing in such a way that I in no way knew at what point she would stop. 

The earlier years of her life are quite brief before she gets into the meat of it all. I really enjoyed how she told her stories and how vivid I could see this petite little tornado buzzing through New York City and crying in closets at some of the most popular magazines in the world. 

This story is honest and sometimes uncomfortable to read, but you still will always root for Cato. I know I did. It's also very uplifting to anyone with a vice or addiction, no matter what it be. Obviously, Cat's addictions were far more serious than anything I've dealt with (i.e. carbs and nicotine), but by the time I read the final page I was determined to have a life cleanse.

Spring is here and Summer is on the way. Here's to drinking less, smoking less, eating better, exercising, and being really tan. 

Thank you, Cat Marnell. Thank you for your honesty, wit, and sharing your life with me.

Rating: 5/5

Comments

Popular Posts