Lisa Unger | THE RED HUNTER




Plot (via Goodreads):

What is the difference between justice and revenge?

Claudia Bishop's perfect life fell apart when the aftermath of a brutal assault left her with a crumbling marriage, a newborn daughter, and a constant sense of anxiety about the world around her. Now, looking for a fresh start with a home restoration project and growing blog, Claudia takes on a crumbling old house--one that unbeknownst to her has an ugly history and may hide long buried secrets.

For Zoey Drake the defining moment of her childhood was the horrific murder of her parents. Years later, she has embraced the rage that fuels her. Training in the martial arts has made her strong and ready to face the demons from the past--and within.

Strangers to each other, and walking very different paths in the wake of trauma, these two women are on a collision course--because Zoey's past nightmare and Claudia's dreams for her future take place in the same house. As Zoey seeks justice, and Claudia seeks peace, both will confront the terrifying monsters at the door.


Review:


Lisa Unger just really knows how to tell one hell of a twisted story and completely captivate you with the very first sentence in all of her books. Even though this is only my third or fourth read by Unger, I feel like it is truly her most complex and unique story that I've enjoyed thus far. Her writing is incredible. I go back and forth with whether you can tell if a story is a Lisa Unger tale or not because each one of her novels is so different than the rest.

The Red Hunter starts off with an eerie and compelling first chapter that made me ask a hundred questions and immediately captivated me. From there, we go on to two different stories of two women who both experienced trauma at different points in their lives. I not only found each woman's backstory to be sensationally written, harrowing, and emotionally compelling. Lisa Unger always features so many layers to her novels and I think this is by far the most emotionally charged one yet. I really felt for these women and I wanted to root for them and protect them, but I honestly could not put down this read and devoured it completely in one day.

One thing that I absolutely loved about this one was how my curiosity was piqued so early when it came to me wondering how and why these two women could be related or when that fork in the road was coming to explain to me how these stories connected. I had some hints that I picked up on early on, but then I found myself completely wrapped up so much in the current timeline of things that I just let my guard down and went with the story and found it to be so fantastic. Lisa Unger's writing is beguiling, her characters are fantastic, and the way she tells a story solidifies her as one of my go-to favorite authors. I just absolutely love her.

As I traveled through this story and got some brilliant flashbacks and the tightly woven connection between the past and the present began to form I was down a rabbit hole I had no chance of escaping, and I didn't want to. The twists and turns at the end of this one were fantastic and there was so much I never saw coming. I loved how Unger gave us a glimpse into the lives of these phenomenal women, what their future held, and then tied a perfect ribbon over this gift of a novel by connecting the creepy first chapter to the epilogue. Another great read from a great author!

Rating: 4.5/5

Comments

Popular Posts